Childhood Cancer Action Days 2018 is Here!
On Tuesday, April 24th, over 200 advocates from 37 states will be hitting the Hill to advocate on behalf of kids with cancer and their families.
The Childhood Cancer Survivorship, Treatment, Access and Research (STAR) Act, the most comprehensive childhood cancer legislation ever taken up by Congress, passed the Senate in March. Now we are calling on the House to follow suit so we can get this life-saving legislation signed into law. You can amplify the impact of our meeting messages with phone calls and social media posts from home! (Use hashtags #STARAct and #StepUp)
Here is how you can participate:
Step 1: Reach Out to Your U.S. Representative
- Find your Representative on the updated map of STAR Act cosponsors.
- If your Member is already signed on, thank them for their support.
- If they're not yet a co-sponsor, use our action alert to send them a quick message asking for their support.
- Whether or not they are co-sponsors, urge them to talk to leadership about passing the STAR Act. Here's a sample phone script:
Hi, my name is __________. I’m a constituent from ____[home town]____. Could I please speak to the Representative's Legislative Assistant who handles health care?
I am calling today to urge the Representative to pass HR 820 The Childhood Cancer STAR Act. Children with cancer have no time to waste and we are counting on (him/her) to take action to save children’s lives and help them to survive and thrive.
Step 2: Reach Out to Your U.S. Senators
Thank your Senator for passing the bill and ask them to fully fund the STAR Act. Here's a sample phone script:
Hi, my name is __________. I’m a constituent from ___[home town]____. Could I please speak to the Senator's Legislative Assistant who handles health care?
I am calling today to urge the Senator to sign onto the appropriations letter to fully fund S. 292 The Childhood Cancer STAR Act, which passed the Senate last month. Children with cancer have no time to waste and we are counting on [him/her] to take action to save children’s lives and help them to survive and thrive.
Thank you for passing the Childhood Cancer STAR Act and please help us take the next step to ensure its full funding!
Step 3: Post and SHARE on social media.
- Tweet your members of Congress using the Twitter-based action platform SoundOff.
- Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. By 'liking' or sharing our posts, you help us reach a much bigger audience!
Sample Posts for Social Media:
- Worldwide, every 2 minutes a family is told, “your child has cancer.” Help us change this stat – ask your representative to pass the Childhood Cancer #STARAct for cures and safer, less toxic treatments. Tweet at them here: http://www.soundoffatcongress.org/enlF
- Proud to #StepUp with the Alliance for Childhood Cancer on Capitol Hill and ask Congress to do their part for kids with cancer & childhood cancer survivors. Can’t be with us in D.C.? Call your reps about passing the #STARAct!
- Childhood Cancer advocates came to D.C. from across the US with one common goal – get Congress to pass the #STARAct! Ask your reps to #StepUp to help kids with cancer & childhood cancer survivors live long, healthy lives. Tweet at them here: http://www.soundoffatcongress.org/enlF